8/17/2012

Paleo-no!

I've had to take a few days off from Crossfit. I somehow managed to contract pink eye and I look creepy/am contagious. Either way I'm hiding out until this goes away. I've been discussing nutrition and wow -I'm so far off base. I will say I've always had a pretty bad diet but things have gone from bad to worse recently. I think with getting ready to move I've just been delaying the grocery store and so my dinner's have been anywhere from chocolate milk (yes, that's it) to chocolate milk and oreos. Yeah. I need work.
Here is the challenge that is currently lurking about. It's being put out to all the members and I'm looking forward/dreading it.

Here are some of the things that I am thinking about but going to need a point system of some kind and every thing (even water) intake has to be documented:
3 meals a day (at least) (paleo zone = best, paleo or zone, gluten free)
2 Cheat meals a week (What ever this is for you… it can be a pizza, it can be a gluten free cheat, it can be a piece of fruit)
Sleep: minimum of 6 hours a day
Learn 1 thing new a day (in your life or career)
Take fish oil every day
Workout 3-5 times a week
Stretch or rehab something every day
As you see this is very scalable across the board and there is some “life happens” wiggle room.
You guys/gals throw out some ideas on points and other things that we should measure. I was thinking we can go with posting a picture of everyone who wants in. If you bail or miss more than 4 points in a day you get a “FAIL” written across your picture. Then at the end all the losers do 50 burpees for the top 5 as they sit and laugh. If you call someone out on their log and it is not up to date 30 burpees on the spot, no exception.

I think I can manage most of this.
The learning 1 new thing everyday? Well, I'm sure I could learn some strange stuff but it'll be something new so clearly it would count.
The cheat meals? Oh I"ll be great at those although limiting it to only 2? Yikes! I'm already thinking of all the good things I can eat!
The sleeping thing? I got that easy! You may or may not know it but I'm kind of an expert sleeper. Just woke up from a 2 hour nap!
Fish oil? Bleck, gross...but I can manage it.
Working out: Just bumped my membership up to 3x a week and I enjoy it so far so I feel like I can do that pretty easy. Some soreness but that's ok. It'll be worth it!
Stretch: Meh...I'm supposed to be doing that for my chiropractor and am not good at remembering it. Maybe if I'm supposed to do it for 2 groups of people it'll be easier? Probably not. Meh.
So the only thing I'm not so sure about? This paleo/paleo zone/gluten free. I can do this. I know I can. I made it 40 days with no carbs with no cheat days. But paleo is so hard! It's supposed to be organic/free range/expensive meat, eggs, seafood as your priority. Vegetables are next - again organic is ideal but organic meat is more important than organic produce. Fruits are next followed by healthy fats. Coke is not a healthy fat. Nor is fried anything. At least I'm not attempting this near a Bojangles.
I'm still reading up on Paleo but that's about all I know so far. Eh...I'm sure I'll keep this all updated on here. Look forward to my misery.

No comments: