I was leaving my house this morning when I stumbled upon an unexpected present. I normally don't pay attention to mail/packages in the morning but as I was leaving my building, I noticed an unclaimed package. I checked...and it was addressed to me!! I thought back to if I'd ordered anything and I couldn't come up with anything. Then I noticed it was from the Charleston Animal Society. Well, I know I didn't order anything from there. Nor is it where I got Evie from. I was confused! So I opened up the package to find....
Well, not that exact picture. It was actually this picture:
I think you get the idea. It is an entire 2014 calender of firefighters holding animals! Mostly puppies/kittens. I mean, really...there's not a lot I like more in this world than a)puppies and b)firefighters. This present totally made my morning (actually my entire day) way better. My friend that sent it to me is beyond awesome. Now to find the perfect place to hang it up...
Here lately, it seems like I've had a slew of people being mean to me. Now by no means do I think that everyone has been mean to me. Actually, as I sit here typing this, I realize way more people have been nice to me than have been mean. So if you are one of those people that think your little acts of kindness don't go very far...they do. You never know when someone is having a tough time and sitting here reflecting on little things - people saying hi, a quick e-mail to let them know you're thinking of them, holding a door open, stopping to have a conversation, offering to buy them a coffee. These are all really easy, really little things that make me realize there are nice people out there.
And by a slew of people being jerks to me - it boils down to 3 people. 3 people are ruining my days. When I think of it that way...it's really silly. And 1 of them is so entirely insignificant in my life that it should be 2 people.
1. She's more of a gnat than anything else. She just likes to run and tattle on me and everyone else. So I guess I should be glad that it's not me being singled out.
2. The office manager. She's besties with the gnat. So when the gnat runs to her and tells her things that may or may not be true (there have been both), the office manager believes her. Then I get the "disappointment" talk and hear about how when I do things, I'm disrespecting the office manager and she takes it personally. Blah blah blah. I definitely do not mean to disrespect anyone. But she actually told me "I see you on Monday mornings and I just avoid you. I don't even want to speak to you." Now, I know I'm not the most personable person in the morning times...but to say "I don't even want to speak to you" seems a bit harsh. She's also told me I come in "looking like hell" (I'm showered, hair pulled back, makeup on every day). Both of those seem like pretty personal comments, right? Am I crazy to take those personally? Please tell me if I am.
3. This stupid boy. He is so not worth it. I knew from the very beginning that he was so not worth it. When my friend told me "drop him. He's a douche." I should have listened. But I didn't. And I thought I was keeping my emotions in check. But then he seemed like he actually liked me. And I let my emotions get the better of me. And I started actually really letting myself get excited...I should've known better. So I've been singing along to Taylor Swift and trying to forget about him. It's been 2 days and it's mostly worked. He's mostly forgotten.
Things to focus on and get excited about or remind myself of:
1. The other boy I've been seeing. He's nice. He talks to me. He's respectful. He meets my criteria (job, doesn't live with his parents, cares about physical fitness, is at least moderately attractive). He seems to like hanging out with me. And while he has never seen Dirty Dancing and doesn't seem to keen about watching it...he seems like a good guy.
2. I'm moving away in 3 months and don't have to deal with that office manager being mean to me. I'm sure I'll encounter other mean people in the workplace but this will make me a stronger person.
3. I encounter so many nice people on a daily basis. I'm going to try to focus on their acts of kindness and use that when I'm feeling down.
Posted by K at 9:11 AM
This is definitely an emergency. I'm having a bad weekend. I'm trying to eat until my feelings go away. Yesterday at lunch I had fries & a coke. No big deal, it's a cheat and gluten free. Then I ordered a pizza for dinner. And had my emergency coke. Today's a new day right? Except I'm about 2 seconds from ordering a grilled cheese. Or cheese fries. I can't seem to get a handle on this. If it weren't snowy & icy out I would drive to Taco Bell.
Posted by K at 2:33 PM