1/21/2013

Over Easy Cafe

H & my bro joined me on the brunchquest. We hiked through the freezing cold (bad choice on my part...) to Over Easy Cafe. Fortunately I am never on time and Gene was...so he had put our name on the waiting list. It was still about a 20-30 minute wait but the cafe seems to be on good terms with the coffee shop a few doors down, which provided a warm place to wait.
As we sat down for our meal, a water-refiller-guy/busboy approached and asked if we'd like anything to drink. It was nice that we didn't even have to wait and the drinks were there almost immediately. Our waitress approached and began describing a few of the specials. This was the description on the menu: "cornflake-crusted brioche french toast layered with vanilla bean cream & fresh strawberries, served with house-made strawberry syrup, powdered sugar & whipped cream"....but when the waitress described it? My mouth was watering and I knew I had to get it. Everything she described made it sound like I had to eat it! I pretty much fell in love with her - she was awesome. I wanted to befriend her so that she could go out to eat with me and describe my food to me. all the time.
I ordered a drink called a "freckled oj" - it was orange juice with strawberry puree. Why have I not been adding strawberries to my orange juice my entire life?!?! This was the best orange juice I've had...well...ever. And my food? Well, when the girl delivered it she said "I'm so excited for you" which I took to be a pretty good sign. She was right, she should've been excited. This french toast was seriously good stuff. Everyone at the table (I shared....begrudgingly) agreed it was pretty freaking good. The vanilla bean cream with fresh strawberries definitely made it!!
H's Sassy Eggs (two eggs served over chorizo-potato hash with cheddar cheese, red peppers, jalapenos, guacamole, sour cream, & ancho ketchup) was my second favorite dish at the table....although I find that when I order savory foods, I don't end up as satisfied and wish I'd gotten something sweet. But hers was really good for the 2-3 bites I had.
The bad things about Over Easy Cafe? The wait - it is a small establishment, seating about 35 people. I suppose good things are worth waiting for. And that's it for the bad things.
I'm giving this place a 9. I know. That's pretty high. But it was really good. And I fell in love. 3 times. Girl. Juice. French Toast.

No comments: