2/24/2014

Dating Disaster

As I try to figure out where things might go with this new guy, I've realized I have no idea how to date. If things are this bad for me, I can only imagine how hard it is for someone who's been married for years and years and is trying to reenter the dating scene. I'm sure you are thinking it can't be that difficult. Just take your time and get to know the guy. Well, yes, that much is simple. But you can't be over eager and talk to them too much. But if you are too distant then it seems like you aren't interested! So you need the perfect balance between interest and aloof. Then, with social media and all the different modes of communication today - do I text? Do I call? At least this current guy isn't on facebook so I can't toss that option into the mix. Can I text him just to chat? I have no idea how to go about getting to know someone.

What is appropriate dating etiquette? How often should we be hanging out? Are we supposed to be talking daily? What if I don't have anything important to say each day? Sometimes my life can be very mundane. I highly doubt he wants to hear about the minor details of my day.

The last time I seriously dated someone was Voldemort. That was about 6 years ago. Sure, I've thought there were serious ones since then but they were typically very short lived. Is it because I don't know how to date? Is it because they were idiots? Just not the right one for me? I like structure. I just want rules to follow.

No comments: