5/27/2010

Reach out and Touch Somebody

I'm working on being more ok with physical touch. I really really dislike being touched. I know that's weird - but there are not many people I'm ok with being touched by. In an effort to become a better coach to my cheerleaders I am trying to become more comfortable with physical touch, in hopes that one day, I can actually hug someone without cringing. Yes, I cringe.
I set a goal of touching 3 people each day - it could be a hug, a pat on the shoulder, a high five...any sort of contact.
Day 1: a fake pat on the shoulder to a coworker who knows of this goal. It still counts.
Day 2: nothing. I thought about it but it all seemed so awkward.
Day 3: I patted a guys shoulder as he left the dental office and said "It was so nice to meet you!" It was very nice to meet him. It was not so nice to touch him.
Day 4: More thinking, less touching.
How do I get over this???

1 comment:

Heto said...

You just have to do it. Like at work when they give us another stupid project to do, you just have to suck it up and do it until it becomes habit.

This is, perhaps, not the most encouraging advice, but it's the best I've got!